Here are some thoughts from Chapter 6 of “Is God Religious”:
It hurts to see Him reduced to the level of employer or boss. Not only that, it just doesn’t work. If we have to compete selling just another religion, then we are going to lose.
As religions go,
- Mormonism is much more attractive, if you like legalism and predictability.
- Islam is just right, if you can’t remember to pray without your Day-Timer.
- The Baha’i faith is great, if you like everything and can’t make up your mind.
- Hinduism is super, if you like your movies full of violent, spooky, supernatural characters.
- Judaism is great, if you like to wash your hands several times before you eat.
Here is what I propose: let’s spend the rest of this book going through the Bible to see if this thing called Christianity really better resembles a relationship than a religion.
- Let’s start at the very beginning and trace this theme right to the end.
- Let’s see if in the end treating it as a relationship is what God had in mind all along.
- Let’s also see if it doesn’t produce better, happier, more loving, God- centered people.
And if, in fact, it is a relationship, then let’s figure out how to live that relationship.
Most of all, let’s fall more in love with Him.